A key area of focus at Hatfield Studios is creating a lifestyle for students that provides for a healthy balance between their academic needs and purpose on the one hand and their social and community needs on the other.
The development of this balanced lifestyle has been developed in conjunction with the students and UP. The social and cultural philosophy is established in Hatfield Studios through the initiatives undertaken by the Head of Residence, Nerene Grobler.
To this end Hatfield Studios elects a House Committee that runs a full academic, sporting and social calendar of events throughout the year.
During 218, Hatfield studios participated in all UP sporting activities; including Rugby, Soccer, Netball, Volleyball, Touch rugby etc. Hatfield studios offers academic mentoring and tutoring as well as running in house workshops for study skills, summarizing skills, CV development young entrepreneur program.
Socially, we host clubs, events and socials.
For 1st years, we host a welcoming week where we orientate fist years for their transition from school to University. During this time students are able to make friends and find their feet before the academic calendar begins
Some of the student life and student affairs in Hatfield Studios undertaken in 2019 include:
- Integration with on-campus activities as far as possible;
- Sporting events;
- Social functions and get-togethers;
- Facilitate various societies and clubs, including religious groups
- Facilitate study and tutorial groups;
- Create a forum for advertising of temp or part-time employment opportunities; and
- Provide access to various personal support and counseling structures, such as Life Line and other counseling services.
- Market Day